Re: [NTLK] Internet via proxy?

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 06:39:32 EST

On 12 Dec 2002 at 20:52, Ed Kummel wrote:

> And about blowing your budget...heck, ethernet cards
> for the Newt are going for the price of a few packs of
> cigarettes or a few 12-packs of Coke...so, if you can
> keep a habit in check, you can get an ethernet card!

I was looking in the local Dick Smiths store recently and they had only
one PCMCIA ethernet card, of unknown brand (well, Dick Smith brand but
who knows what it actually is), selling for NZ$88. And this would be
cheaper than some name-brand cards I would expect to find over here in
other stores. In fact I would not be surprised to have to fork out well
over NZ$120 for a boxed one.

Of course there's no guarantee the card will work on the Newt anyway,
so it would be an expensive gamble. That's what I meant by blowing my
budget. :(

Fortunately I have found someone on this list willing to offer me an
infinitely better deal on a card known to work with Newts. Now all I
need to do is sit back and await the mail.

> As for synching your email...well, connect your Newt
> to the POP server and just dump you email onto the
> Newt. Set the Newt's email client to leave a copy of
> the email on the server. This way when your desktop
> makes a connection to the mail server, all the mail
> will still be there.

Well I shall have a go at this the moment the ethernet adaptor arrives.
Thanks for your advice.

Julian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html