Re: [NTLK] Newton talking to a PC

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 13:49:11 EST

I have been trying to get the DIL to work, but for
some reason, I can't get the Newt to recognize my
Windows IP...I'm still trying though...
But, the easiest way I've found to send data to the
Newt from a Windows machine is by using Basilisk. In
Basilisk, set up the "C:" drive as another drive on
your Mac desktop and you can access anything on your
PC through your emulated Mac OS. Then you can send
stuff to your Newt. I've only done this twice, so I'm
not too familiar with the details.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Adam Klaum <aklaum_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Bond Shepherd said...
>
> > There's no peer-to-peer data transfer software for
> going between
> > NewtonOS to Windows that works over TCP/IP.... IM
> isn't an option either,
> since
> > none of the three IM clients for Newton allow
> sending text except what
> > you write or type.
>
> > Unless I've missed something in my hours of
> experimenting, the only way
> > you can get text from Newton to Windows is over a
> serial cable, or
> > through the intermediary of e-mail.
>
> Here are some other thoughts I had.
>
> - What about FTP? Aren't there FTP clients for the
> Newton. If I was running
> FTP server on my laptop, couldn't it connect?
>
> - I have seem some smatterings of stuff about
> setting up the Newton as a web
> server. Couldn't it be set up to serve documents as
> well? Then couldn't I
> just go to the web page on the newton and grab
> stuff?
>
> Adam

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.