Re: [NTLK] Newton talking to a PC

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 15:59:56 EST

> Here are some other thoughts I had.
>
> - What about FTP?=A0 Aren't there FTP clients for the Newton.=A0 If I =
was=20
> running
> FTP server on my laptop, couldn't it connect?

Ohyeah, that would work. Newt FTP is pretty good -- a bit slow but for=20=

text it shouldn't matter much. I have FTPd text notes from Newton to a=20=

Unix computer and that worked out fine.

> - I have seem some smatterings of stuff about setting up the Newton as=20=

> a web
> server.=A0 Couldn't it be set up to serve documents as well?=A0 Then=20=

> couldn't I
> just go to the web page on the newton and grab stuff?

Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I'm not an expert on Newton PDS=20=

(the Web server software) but as I recall it's pretty easy to set one=20
of your Notes folders as the default shared folder and then anything=20
filed in there will be served via HTTP. You could browse the Newt with=20=

a desktop browser and copy/paste the text you were after.

Sounds like there are in fact some good options for you. Let us know=20
which one works out the best for your needs.

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth
San Francisco, CA | and the life upon it that I cannot think of
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | heaven and the angels. I have enough for
Phone: 415-929-0297 | this life.
AIM: jeremybondsf | -- Pearl S. Buck
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html