[NTLK] Newton talking to a PC

From: Adam Klaum (aklaum_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 17:32:01 EST

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a MP 2100 in the near future. I am
convinced that having a Newton will enrich my life and make me a
better person...well it will at least be cool. I seem to see a
mixed bag however on syncing it up with a Windows PC. I am trying
to get a handle on how I am going to backup, transfer and talk to my
Toshiba Tecra 9100 w/Windows XP Pro. So far I think the options are
as follows:

IRDA - Not happening right now with any Windows machines.

Serial Cable - Not real desireable for me but definitely works. If
I don't end up with the software for using the serial cable is there
somewhere to get it? Will it work on XP Pro?

Ethernet Card - Sounds cool but some people say they only get 28.8
connection speed on them. Is this really the case with the speed?
Can I just transfer files back and forth over ethernet between the
Newt and my laptop?

Wireless Ethernet - Most desireable for me next to IRDA. No wires
is always cool, but with the same questions as the wired ethernet
solution, and how bad does this eat batteries?

Starting out, all I want to do is be able to take notes in meetings
and then come back and rapidly get them onto the PC to be put into
company standard Word documents. Since my laptop also has a
wireless card, I envision some kind of quick peer to peer wireless
connection for data transfer. Does this make any sense or is it
possible?

Adam