Re: [NTLK] Wireless cards

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 14:39:23 EST

On Saturday, December 21, 2002, at 10:02 AM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who pointed out the source forge and ioexperts Mac
> wireless drivers. Looks like there are definitely some options there.
> But
> it still bugs me that all those zillions of cards on the market come
> with PC
> drivers only. Oh well ... I guess that's just part of the Mac "user
> experience" - I should be used to it by now. (But I thought with OSX,
> things would be getting better because it's supposed to be easy to port
> stuff over from other Unix-based systems. (?))

It is, that's why we have the excellent open source wireless driver.

I believe ioxperts have a special agreement with Rob Mckeever (sp?) who
is the lead on the Open Source wireless project, so in essence it's the
same driver, without open source, plus I think there code supports USB
based wireless devices.

Who really cares if the cards come with drivers on a cd anyhow? Even
if they do I always go online to get the latest/greatest version
(hopefully). I'm thrilled that such high quality and full featured
drivers exist and are available for free, which allows we to continue
using OSX on this tank of a wallstreet powerbook, with my Newton and
wireless AP.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html