Re: [NTLK] DIY - Newton OMP battery pack?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 22:54:51 EST

on 16/12/2002 12:10 PM, Michael Jones at michael.jones_at_samtec.com wrote:

> Anyway, I figured it would be easy to just stick in a 4-AAA battery pack
> from Radio Shack. There are two spring terminals there. Easy, eh? Not so
> easy, because there are 3 funky lever buttons to push in to tell the Newton
> the cells are in, rechargeable or not. Dang it! I tried every conceivable
> combination of buttons pushed in, with no dice.

Hi Michael - I'm looking at the battery compartment of my OMP and at a
(dead) rechargeable pack and 4-AAA holder, trying to figure this out. First
problem is that I think I only see 2 levers. However, if you're counting
the little white or silvery thing peeking out of a little square hole right
in front of the big red switch ("replace main/in use/replace backup"), then
I don't see anything on either battery pack that looks like it would push
that thing. Don't know what it could be, though... Maybe it tries to pop
out when the switch is not in the "replace main" position. Can't test that
theory though. There are differences between the two battery packs in that
area, but I really can't tell what the effect would be on that thing. If I
had to guess, I'd say that 4AAA holder has more open space in that area than
the rechargeable pack does, so maybe it lets the thing pop out farther.

Anyway, proceeding counterclockwise from there, there's a big black
rectangular button to the left of the big red switch - this clearly is
pressed in by either type of battery pack.

Then there's the little powder blue button peeking out of the left side near
the corner. Here's where there's a clear difference: the rechargeable pack
has a little dingus that pokes that button, the 4-AAA holder does not.

If there's a lever/button that you see that I've missed, let me know and
I'll look again.

Oh, and if you want to double-check the polarity, the terminal closer to the
bottom edge of the Newt is positive.

> I hate to buy another battery pack (probably $20), because if I do, I could
> have just bought an MP110 - they had some buy-it-now 110's for $30 or so.

As far as getting a new pack, I don't think you'd be able to find an undead
rechargeable pack, but the 4-AAA holders are available for $1 each. Or at
least they were a few months ago. I don't remember the name of the place,
but it was a Yahoo store - if you search the archives, I'm sure you'll find
it. The catch is that the place had a minimum order of, I think, $10 - but
maybe they'll happen to have other stuff you need :)

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html