Re: [NTLK] Next steps for NewtSync? My thoughts...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 11:52:49 EST

À (At) 8:04 -0800 12/12/02, Jeremy Bond Shepherd écrivait (wrote) :
> > It's my understanding that if you link against and/or include a GPL
>> library, your product becomes GPL as well.
>
>Ergo, you can't charge $$$ for it, right?

Technically you can, but you have to release the source code. So you
can sell the software for a reasonnalble handling fee (34 USD if John
shipped the CD worldwide would be considered reasonnable from the FSF
folks). Once someone gets the CD, he can put it on the Internet and
let people download if for free, though.

This license allows companies like RedHat, Mandrake, YellowDogLinux,
etc. to sell software they haven't actually written. Surprisingly,
they take eons to put the CD images of their distribution of Linux on
their FTP servers.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/