Re: [NTLK] PlayMate

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 07:42:44 EST

Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl) wrote:

> Seriously, how was this done? I states that it was ported from a Mac, looks
> like a cool technique.

It's a port from a Mac game: MacPlayMate, by Mike Saenz of Virtual
Valerie fame. MacPlayMate was released around 1987, I believe. It was a
charming little game in its time, although one lost interest after
playing it for 5 minutes, max. Female co-workers thought it was funny,
but natuarally, they lost interest even faster. The Mac version (which,
incidentally, is available from <http://antoine.piwnik.free.fr/tel12/
MacplaymateII.hqx> and will still run on a G4 unter Mac OS 9, albeit
without sound) was a bit more elaborated than the Newton's -- there was
an entry screen where you had to answer a couple of multiple-choice
questions, and on the main screen you could actually interact with the
game character using an assortment of toys. A German Macintosh mag I
ended up working for in later years, MACup, published a spoof on
MacPlayMate back then, "reviewing" a supposedly educational game for
children called "MacPlay", accompanied by appropriately edited
screenshots from MacPlayMate.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de