Re: [NTLK] What's new?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 22:57:41 EST

Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just subscribed again for a while after a year or two.

Thomas! Welcome back man! Missed ya!

> I'd like to catch up with recent news. Is there a web page listing the
> important things that happen in the Newton world?

Rich has been running a news blog on This Old Newt:

http://www.thisoldnewt.net/blogger.html

> If not, here's what I'm interested to know about - perhaps someone can
> tell me:
>
> - What about Paul's Flashcard driver. Has this finally been coming out of
> the test phase and is actually usable for both reading and writing?

It's at 1.0RC3 - almost done. It's quite usable, and he's even got a database
of known working cards going (I hope my 40MB Toshiba moves to the 'usable'
list sometime...)

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

> - Paul also worked on his own replacement for Apple's DIL (software to
> interface the Newton's data from a Mac or PC). Did he succeed, especially
> in cracking the Dock's communication start (there was a problem with the
> encryption IIRC)?

The DCL is still going forward. He posted a decent update on its progress
recently; search the list archive. (Once POSIX file browsing runs, I'm
planning on getting a copy, compiling it on Linux, and running a Dock server
on UNNA so people can Dock directly and browse from their Newtons :)

> - Has there been any new software for synchronizing Newton with PC/Mac in
> the past 2 years? (I had offered my "Newton DIL Tester" to be enhanced by
> others - has anything come out of this?)

newtSync!!!!

http://www.everchanging.com/newton/

> - What else have I missed in the past 1-2 years? (last thing I remember
> was the development of a Mini-Java engine for the Newton)

Geez... MP3 player? RSS/RDF reader?

http://40hz.org/