Re: [NTLK] NewtSync and DHCP

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 18:04:59 EST

on 08/12/02 15:43, Hans Derycke at hans_at_derycke.com wrote:

> I'm still having trouble with my TCP/IP connections. When I try to use
> NewtSync, on the Newton side it says "Loading the DHCP protocol..." for
> a while, and then that dialog disappears and NewtSync just sits there.
>
> Here's my set-up: I have a cable modem, connected to a D-Link 4-port
> router. Connected to the router are my Mac (IP 192.168.0.124) and a
> Linksys wireless access point. The router has a built-in DHCP server
> and other goodies.
>
> On the Mac, I have NewtSync, and the firewall is off. The Mac uses the
> router's DHCP server, so I know *that* works.
>
> On the Newt, I have the 802.11b WaveLAN driver, registered, with the
> correct WEP password. I also have Internet Setup, ISP Templates, Newton
> Devices, Newton Internet, NewtSync (obviously), NIE Ethernet, NIE Modem
> & Serial, and (since this morning) NIE Patch. In Internet Setup, I've
> created a setup called 'Home Wireless', which is a generic setup
> configured to use a DHCP server, a Linksys WPC11 card, and no domain
> name.
>
> In NewtSync, I set the Connect Via to TCP/IP, the IP address to
> 192.168.0.124 (that's the Mac), hit 'Connect', in the slip that comes
> up I make sure the Home Wireless setup and Linksys WPC11 are selected,
> and tap 'Connect' again (all the while, NewtSync on the Mac is trying
> to establish a connection as well).
>
> Any suggestions as to what's going wrong?

I've never been able to make WEP working. I didn't investigate much time to
troubleshoot it, but it just simply didn't work with my Apple Base Station,
using the hexa version of the password.

Another thing, make sure your LinkSys router is able to handle AppleTalk
packets. Linksys has a reputation for not supporting the Mac very well. Just
a thought...

-Laurent.

card walloper n.: An EDP programmer who grinds out batch programs that do stupid things like print people's paychecks. Compare code grinder. See also punched card, eighty-column mind.