[NTLK] eMate hinge repair suggestions

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 14:47:53 EST

Over thanksgiving, I opened up my eMate with the help of Joel's (and
Frank's?) excellent eMate hinge repair PDF, and I must say, it is
wonderfully done! I can now open and close my display without any fear
of self-destruction! Excellent! Excellent!

BUT there are a couple of suggestions I would like to make:

1. You forgot to tell us to desolder the speaker connections. I was a
little confused to open it up and find twice as many red and black pairs
of wires than the instructions mentioned. But I just desoldered both
pairs, and found one was speaker, and the other was power.

2. I did this to my eMate as *preventative* maintenance, and as such,
had no need to open the display housing. However I had already taken the
display halfway apart before I realized this! You might want to make
some kind of a note that if you are trying to prevent cable destruction,
skip the section on disassebling the screen and go straight to "The
Motherboard" section below it.

Other than these miniscule gripes, it is an excellent walkthrough. Keep
up the good work!

-Animal

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html