Re: [NTLK] Newton Future: what could be done IMO

From: Stephen Swift (burnum_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 14:38:19 EST

At 12/4/02 2:18 AM, Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net) Wrote:

> There is the licensing problem. Actually, this is what prevented me
> to work in that direction for so long (today, it's rather a big lack
> of time). I probably posted a message on NTLK saying that anyway we
> won't be able to turn out new users because it would be illegal. But
> after all, many NewtonTalkers are using Basilisk II without having
> the right to use a ROM. We could start with just our own ROMs
> (dumping a ROM is very easy) and when new users will get ROMs to just
> run NewtonOS on their PocketPC, Apple will have to face the fact
> somehow. Until then, we shouldn't expect them to do any move. They
> won't open source NewtonOS because there are parts they don't fully
> own the copyright on.
> Did I mention that NewtonOS ROMs are actually on UNNA?

I don't think we'd be able to do a hardware rebuild or even a PocketPC port
without some people from the original Newton team. I don't think we'd be
able to do a hardware rebuild over the internet. You need a team of people
working together, making the hardware together -- almost start their own
company -- to be able to pull something off like that. However, a port to
PocketPC could be done through open source, over the internet, etc. It
wouldn't be the greatest solution because we'd loose the newts hardware, and
we'd still have a lack of software as others mentioned (Acrobat, Java).
However, I think its a great start. We would at least have an option to
continue to use a "newton" because something other than the old hardware now
can run the Newt OS. Imagine also if we got tons of people to run the Newt
OS on the PocketPC. It would catch Apple's attention, and perhaps then,
they would revive the Newton, and we'd get what we originally wanted --
modern-day Newtons in production.

Okay, so my last idea is far fetched but, I'd support a port to a PocketPC.
It would help to have funds for a project like this -- I don't know how the
project would raise them. It would also help to have people from the
original newt team. But it's definitely doable with time. And we'd get
more attention as the project develops. So, how do we start?

-Stephen

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html