Re: [NTLK] A quick moment of your time for some ethernet help?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 22:40:29 EST

on 03/12/02 21:33, Matt Freeman at freemanmatt_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm attempting to connect my 2100 to a DSL line through a 3Com 3c589C card.
> I suspect I'm missing a fundamental element of the installation, because I'm
> pretty sure I'm doing some of it right.
>
> 1. I downloaded the Farallon and appropriate 3com patch.
> 2. Installed it on Ned (my Newt).
> 3. Inserted the ethernet card, and created a new setup based on "generic".
> Chose DHCP, and tapped on card. Sure enough, the card showed up just fine.
>
> When I run Nethopper, it says "connecting" and " Loading the DHCP protocol",
> but then an error comes up "error: -60088".
>
> What am I forgetting? As well, where do I input my account name and
> password for my local DSL service?

First, you never mentioned that you did install all packages from the
'Newton Internet Enabler' 2.0. Assuming you did, since you report your card
showing up, if your DSL provider is like mine (Verizon), they're using
PPPoE, or Point-to-Point-Protocol-Over_Ethernet, which isn't supported on
the Newton.

-Laurent.

"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs, then they'd be algorithms."