Re: [NTLK] The future of the Newton: A course to bring it to new place

From: Chris Myers (newtman_at_plumbrook.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 19:41:43 EST

Mike,

We would need to come up with a business plan and I agree we could not pitch
it as a product because of the slowly declining user base, but the organization
could become a fertilizer for ideas and for the platform.

Anyway my thoughts were not to get into new hardware development in the
beginning. My goal was to produce parts for the Newton as they break,
because the Newton can stay current in its present state for around 2 more
years. By this time most other PDAs might have left the Newton specs and
features.

Yes software would be a large part of the process. Because we know that the
Newton 2100 is not out of date speed and spec wise, and will not be for 2 more
years, especially if they can be reliably overclocked.

This organization would have the intention to mock the Linux movement but with
one plus, it would take a more active processes in directing it. It would provide
direction like an IEEE group while harnessing the power of the Open Source
Linux movement, while providing rewards for developers.

Chris,

Quoted Message Snipped..............
Software development would I think be easier, as it is not so capital
intensive, just look at all the Linux development that is going on. it just
needs some enthusiasts with some time on their hands. perhaps a Linux port
for the Newton would allow us to take advantage of that world ?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html