Re: [NTLK] Why use the Newton to surf the web/e-mail?

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 14:41:47 EST

on 12/2/02 2:14 PM, Christopher Edwards at chris_at_ingramedwards.com wrote:
> Anyway, just wondering.
    Because we can.

    But also because there are some things you want from the Net on the
Newton. I get daily currency conversion updates mailed to my Newton and use
them to update the Formulas application. I access the mail via DSL through
my home network.
    I also have subscribed one of my Newton's email accounts to the
Newtontalk Digest for times when I'm travelling.
    Newton + cellphone = email anywhere
    You can also download packages directly to the Newton from the Net using
a browser (in my case Nethopper or NewtFTP). Saves all that connecting to
another computer thing.
    Using NewtFTP I can update my website with the Newton from just about
anywhere. And there's the geek factor of putting up new pictures while
sitting next to the place you took them.

    Basically, it's fun getting all the stuff to work. I have a PowerBook
and a desktop, but the Newton is a lot more fun and far more convenient to
lug around.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html