[NTLK] [OT?] Jaguar on x86?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 23:15:24 EDT

Hi,

   Anybody else notice the story on Slashdot about Apple maintaing an
active x86 build of OSX
(http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/02/08/31/195208.shtml?tid=179). The
oringinal story link in eWeek is here
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,496270,00.asp). I'm not sure how
I feel about this - I would sure like to be able to run OSX on my PC
laptop (well, maybe not - I've only got a crappy Compaq 1270). The
article states, "Nevertheless, Marklar [project code name] has
apparently gained strategic relevance in recent months, as Apple's
relationship with Motorola has grown strained [..] been dissatisfied
with the slow rate of Motorola's PowerPC development" If they *did*
switch to x86, what would they do about all their whizbang Altivec
optimization - just drop it? Does the x86 world have a
similar-performance vector processing unit?

Jim