Re: [NTLK] returning user ... some starting questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 01:09:00 EDT

on 29/08/02 19:13, James Spahr at jsp_at_designframe.com wrote:

> On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 03:02 AM, John wrote:
>
>> I have been using Newton DIL Tester on my rev A iMac to install
>> packages
>> on my 2100, and it works great.
>
> Thanks so much for your help! DIL Tester does work great. I was able to
> get NIE 2 and the drivers for the Farallon card installed. I wonder is
> DIL Tester could be re-compiled for OS X ...

No, because it uses some Apple's provided libraries that handle the
connection negotiation that uses some encrypted protocol. So, without
knowing what the Newton asks and expects, it'd be very hard to establish a
connection. Now, sure you could write your own connection/docking program on
the Newton, but how are you going to get it there in the first place?

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

flat adj.: 1. [common] Lacking any complex internal structure. "That bitty box has only a flat filesystem, not a hierarchical one." The verb form is flatten. 2. Said of a memory architecture (like that of the VAX or 680x0) that is one big linear address space (typically with each possible value of a processor register corresponding to a unique core address), as opposed to a `segmented' architecture (like that of the 80x86) in which addresses are composed from a base-register/offset pair (segmented designs are generally considered cretinous).