Re: [NTLK] Stuck PCMCIA button on 21k

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 08:31:12 EDT

The cards are held in place by guide rails and the friction of the pins when mated. The release button operates a lever
that pushes the card away from the pins and thus allows you to slide it out. If the button is missing it should be
possible to push the metal tab that the button attached to and release the card. However, if the button is missing in
the first place it may indicate further damage to the release mechanism.

The quick and dirty (and inadvisable) method:

Plug the network cable in the card then pull without pressing the release buttons on the sides of the plug. You may get
enough leverage to pop the card out.

The safe method:

Use my disassembly instructions on:

http://mrpcbman.tripod.com/backlight.htm

Once the card assembly is exposed a push on the lever will dislodge the card. It is at this stage that I would fit a
replacement button :)

Have Fun!

PCBman