Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA Ethernet card MAC address

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 14:06:38 EDT

I read this and all I could do is wonder...
There is no reason (and no way) that the DSL provider
would need your MAC address of your Newton's network
card.
The only way I know of to get the MAC address from a
card is to install an application that will return the
MAC address or from a router/switch using RIP.

But there is no reason why your DSL provider needs
your MAC.

If you set up your home network using a proxy, then
your DSL provider will only see the MAC address of the
forward facing device. All the machines behind the
proxy will be "invisible"

That's the way I would go anyway....
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
wrote:

> on 24/08/02 01:14, Matt Tracey at
> mtracey_at_telusplanet.net wrote:
>
> > Hi there everybody,
> >
> > Is there any way to find the MAC address of my
> ethernet card when it's
> > in my Newton? My DSL ISP has this setup where you
> need to register your
> > ethernet card MAC address with them so that the
> DSL gives you a valid ip
> > address (as opposed to the
> ISP-internal-network-only access that only
> > lets you get to the registering site)

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party