Re: [NTLK] An eBay eMate with no touch screen response!

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 20:42:37 EDT

>On 21/08/02 17:29, "Richard Harbottle" <r.harbottle_at_ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Well, I bought an eMate from eBay. It was cheap and of course (sadly) the
>> seller says it's fine but "sold as seen". Mark Ross from NuShield has
>> provided me with his fantastic "forwarding" service and has taken possession
>> of my eMate before sending it onwards to the UK. Mark says the machine is in
>> great condition but, there is no response from the screen to touch. I guess
>> that this poor machine is suffering from the hinge-spring-through-the
>> -display-cable trauma. So, should I continue and have Mark send it onwards
>> to "Europe" ? Is there a hope that I could fix the cable and restore its
>> stylus sensitivity? Or, should I give up and face the fact that my new
>> translucent baby is not worth the shipping costs?
>> I will follow the advice of the crowd.
>
>I wish there would be a fix for that problem. I'm guessing that someone
>could make some money by manufacturing somehow a replacement cable. Didn't
>Mr. PCBMan say that he was working on some solution, not so long ago? I, for
>one, would go for one, if the price was reasonable (meaning less than buying
>another eMate)...
>
>-Laurent.

There is nothing on the invoice that says "As Is" or anything to that
effect. There is an implied standard of merchantability and fitness for
any goods sold unless specifically stated as "non functioning" or words
to this effect. Unless the seller can produce a document that says he
sold you "as is", I'd say he must take it back. eBay has specific
policies about this and the seller is a business, not an individual. I
suspect that your bad will and a willingness to take this to eBay's
attention along with a bad feed back rating should get his attention. My
vote is to contact the seller and ask for a replacement at his expense
for shipping. That's the only fair thing to do. That's what we do, no
matter what the purchaser's reason. We always accept returns and give
full refunds or replacements. Its just good business.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net

Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.NuShield.com> for NuShield screen protectors.
Don't leave your Newt Naked!

Phone/Fax/Voicemail: (530) 678-5513