Re: [NTLK] New version of Newt OS?

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 15:26:51 EDT

---- Original Message ----
From: "Robert Lindsley" <me_at_robertlindsley.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 11:10 AM
Subject: [NTLK] New version of Newt OS?

> What do you guys think? How feasible is this?

This has been discussed many, many, *many* times before. The short answer
is - no it can't be done.

Longer answer -- the unoffcial patch that came out isn't from apple-based
source. Someone who had an intimate understanding of the Newton made the
patch and released it. You don't *need* the apple source (which also isn't
available) to make *all* patches. And in the case of that patch, it was
done at the Newtonscript-engine level.

Sorry, but the NewtonOS is what it is - unless Apple open sources it. Which
also won't happen because they don't want to invest the money in it and
there is no one left at Apple with the expertise to do it.

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net

Please email me if you want my ICQ/AIM/IM ID's.