Re: [NTLK] Newton Books

From: Larrie Easterly (larrie_at_larrie.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 14:45:29 EDT

> At 09:37 PM 8/6/2002, you wrote:
>
>> Andrew,
>>
>> Not exactly what you asked but http://www.baen.com/library/ has books you
>> can down load in RTF format and then make Newton books out of them using
>> either Newton Press or Book Maker. I have done this with several of their
>> books with great results.
>>
>> Larrie Easterly
>
> How did you keep formatting between them? I'm a newbie to playing with NP
> and BM, and I want to get them just right.
>
> BTW - I have word from Eric Flint that all of HIS books in the library can
> be converted to whatever format you can read in and distributed - AS LONG
> AS NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS. (Sorry, but he was most emphatic about
> that.) As for the other authors - well, you'd need to contact
> them. (Chances are they'd all agree, as long as you contacted them first.)
>
> (I asked Eric about converting them into Newton format, in case you're
> curious.)
>
> This gets back to my original question, though - how DID you keep all that
> italicizing?! None of the methods I was using (on a PC) seemed to
> work. And those italicized sections are very important that they be left
> that way.
>
> Keith McComb

Keith,

Here is what I do; open the RTF file in Word, deleted the book cover
graphic, and then copy the text, and paste it into into NP. All of the
formatting comes with it when it is pasted into NP. Am doing this on a Mac
but it should be the same on a PC.

The reason for deleting the graphic is that I am to lazy to convert it for
the Newt.

I also change the font to New York 12 Bold in Word so that it is easier to
read on my 2001 without the back light turned on.

The only problem I am having is that NP does not always get the pagination
correct. On some of the pages the last line gets dropped when the book is
made. As you read it you get to the end of the page and all of a sudden you
are reading a different sentence. A little confusing but not to bad.

I have not tried this process BM.

Great news that Eric Flint likes the idea.

Larrie