Re: [NTLK] Newton Books

From: Jeff Henry (j3ff_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 01:50:55 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Kummel" <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Books

> This is a somewhat funny story.
> I was big into books when growing up. I approached a
> local used bookstore with a proposition. I was able to
> get books free (my father worked for the airlines, so
> they kept books that flyers left on the airplanes if
> not claimed in 30 days. After we've all had a chance
> to read them, I took them to the used bookstore for
> credit)
> But I didn't want book credit. (well, not the way they
> did it) so I asked them for a "free" shelf. I would
> promise to keep this shelf stocked with paperbacks if
> they would allow anyone who wanted to come into the
> store and just take a book. No questions...It was
> suggested to replace the book with one you no longer
> needed, but that was not a stipulation of getting a
> free book. Now this was in the end of the hippy days
> of the '70s.
> Ed (the Ramblin' man)

A while back I think it was on techtv but could have been another tv channel
they were talking about a website that if you had books you wanted to let
people read you could go to the site and post where you where going to leave
a book for people to read. You simply went to the site looked for your area
and browsed what books someone left somewhere. They even had preprinted page
you could stick in or on the book to let people who had no clue what the
deal was to inform them. I can't remember the name of the site offhand but I
thought it was a neat idea. If I find the site I will post it I may have it
bookmarked on one of my computers.
Jeff