Re: [NTLK] Recommended setup for wireless network?

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 10:01:40 EDT

Roman Tarnovetsky (romantic_at_arvotek.net) wrote:

> My question is: Can routers be used with a dynamically assigned IP
> address through a dial-up connection?

Sure. That's how small routers are mostly used, I presume. You can have
the router assign dynamic local addresses as a DHCP server, or you can
use fixed local IP numbers. The router will use NAT (network address
translation) to convert the local IP numbers to the IP number assigned by
the ISP, and vice-versa. This is just a standard feature of small routers
for SOHO applications.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de