Re: [NTLK] [OT] attention deficit

From: R. Fay (rjfay_at_attbi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 17:27:17 EDT

John Goggan wrote:

> Indeed. It is interesting that most experts seem to think that
ADD/ADHD affects 3-5% of the population. Yet we seem to > have 20-30%
of students being medicated, in many areas, for it. And we seem to have
a significantly higher
> than 3-5% of NewtonTalk posters with it.

I am not going to try to argue the numbers of kids with ADD. I suspect
that it is probably overdiagnosed. You would know better than I on that
score because I don't deal with kids that often. I offer only an
observation about Newtontalkers and ADD.

For myself, while I think that the 30 mg. of Adderall every morning is
helpful, the Newton is an indispensable tool in coping with ADD. Maybe
that's why so many Newtontalkers have ADD or, put more accurately, why
so many people with ADD find the Newt so indispensable for everyday
life. I gotta go now. I see something shiny.

Best,

Robert Fay