[NTLK] more on Ethernet cards

From: James Charney (James_Charney_at_FirstClass.choate.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 16:01:08 EDT

Thanks, Laurent, for the info on finding a replacement Ethernet card.
         The one I have been using is the Farallon with the XJack. Since every
other part of the connection chain to my Powerbook seems OK, I am assuming
that the Card is faulty--and causing me to not be able to connect my MP
2100 with my Powerbook.
        On the FAQ, there is a long list of Ethernet cards. Will they all work
to connect with NCU to backup and synchronize my Newton?
         I gathered that some Ethernet cards work on a LAN, but don't work with
NCU. If this is so, will someone tell me which cards on the list will be
a good replacement for my old Farallon Ethernet Card with XJack?
        thanks, Jim
From the FAQ:

Newtons running OS 2.1 and NIE 2.0 can use ethernet cards from certain
manufacturers, with the proper drivers. The following is an almost
exhaustive list:

* Farallon PN895 EtherWave
* 3Com 3c589, 3C589B (according to Harri Hohteri), 3c589C, 3c589D
(including -TP), 3CXE589DT, 3CXE589ET
* Proxim RangeLAN2 wireless Ethernet *note* this card is not compatible
with AirPort or any other 802.11-based technology
* AmbiCom AMB8010 PowerSaver
* TDK Combo cards: DFL5610, DFL3410, DFL3200, DFL9610
* TDK Ethernet cards: LAK-CD021, LAK-CD021AX, LAK-CD021BX
* D-Link DE-650, DE-660 (can be found at zones.com for US$43.99 plus
shipping) [Thanks to Kent Wong] DE-660+
* Fujitsu FMV-J182, FMV-J182A
* RATOC REX-R280