Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 23:02:11 EDT

nope...well, perhaps they should now, but back when,
when I had the power of tens of thousands of sales for
Newtons, Apple refused to deal in any way. Even though
I was going to refer big name clients for 30-40
thousand units and had 10% payment in hand, Apple
refused any lower price than retail. Oh, they threw in
extras like dongles (they said they'ld loose those)
and Pens. but $999 was the price for one and the price
for 30 thousand. (and they refused to bulk pack them.
They also claimed that all purchases had to go through
established retail channels. The Newton Store though
said that they were limited in their Newton buys to
under 10 units per order placed. I think I remember
one particular order where I contacted 3 Newton Stores
and had them promise me their next 4 orders and they
said that they couldn't. At the rate I could get
Newtons, this one order would take 10 years to
complete!) And I didn't try this just once. I had half
a dozen potential orders for Newtons with the minimum
being 6 thousand units! But! Each and every one of
these orders (except for one) was filled by HP using
OmniGo's and 300LXs...with discounts as low as 45%
below retail! This one event (well, there were several
others, but this was one of the strongest) soured me
on Apple and it's inability to "do business" that I
decided there and then that I was not going to force
my company to rely on Apple technology when we can't
rely on them to do business. I began equiping critical
machines with PCs (mail server, FMP server, file
server Accounting server) and I just stopped
recommending Apple products period! As a reward,
Compaq sends me gifts (they sent me an HP printer to
"try out" and when I attempted to return it after the
30 day trial, they said to 'keep it'), t-shirts,
30-40% discounts on their server lines and once even
an invitation to be in their booth with them at one of
the shows in Las Vegas (they pay transportation and
room...I pay for my own food) and all I gotta do is
stand in their booth with my company shirt on (which
they were going to pay for at the company store)!
Apple just doesn't get it! They never did and I doubt
they ever will...Thanks Apple for developing the
technology, now move aside while the realworld puts it
to use!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- tfbiii_at_nbscomputers.net wrote:

> What about Volume Discounts? Don't you think if a
> School District buys
> 200 systems, that Apple will give them a break? Most
> purchasing is done
> on a District level so that will usually include
> multiple physical
> locations. I think this is a case of MSRP vs. real
> price.
<snip>

=====
- Arthur C. Clarke -