Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac Pricing...

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 20:52:21 EDT

On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 02:31 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:

> My question is how can Apple in good conscience charge
> $270 for an additional 256mb RAM? That's highway
> robbery!

Remember, Apple, like Dell and IBM, contracts for its RAM. Because RAM
prices fluctuate so widely and so frequently, companies contract with
RAM manufacturers to buy their RAM at a certain price. What this means
is, if RAM prices shoot up, Apple/Dell/IBM won't feel the pain of that.
However, when RAM prices drop, they cannot lower their prices, because
they are buying it at the higher rate. Also, the rate they are buying it
at is somewhat higher than for smaller companies, because the
manufacturers charge higher prices for the contracts.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj