Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac Pricing...

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:29:31 EDT

I think some schools will go for it. My daughter's elementary school has 6
colored imacs in each classroom (original retail probably $1400 or so) and
we live in one of the poorer parts of Virginia. My impression is that a lot
of teachers just prefer Macs, especially in the lower grades. They're easier
to operate and more difficult to screw up. Unfortunately they also last
longer which is why our local college library still has some early performas
stuck in the back running various educational software on OS 7.5. The
similar era 486 PCs are long since gone.

Walmart has an hp system with CD-RW and monitor for under $600. I checked it
out. It wouldn't last a month in a classroom full of kids. The plastic is
thin and cheap and the lid to the CD player would break off with minimal
effort. There are a lot of markets that apple just can't compete in but macs
are still good in the classroom.

I agree with the RAM price issue. I can still get 512mb for a little over
$100 if I shop around. But "dude, I'm not getting a dell".
-Chet