Re: [NTLK] eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Pedro Hobbyfrazoo (pjfraser_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 09:55:00 EDT

here's another explanation:

Monday, April 29, 2002

Apple Introduces Macs Starting With Remaining Letters Of The Alphabet.

Rounding out its product offering, Apple today introduced 35 new models,
from the aMac to the zMac, alphabetically surrounding the existing iMac.
While many heralded the new product lineup, others complained that Apple
will simply be confusing potential customers.

At a press conference at One Infinite Loop, Steve Jobs took nearly four
hours this morning to cover the various new models. Most notable are:

aMac - a is for advertising (ships with Photoshop and page layout
software)
cMac - c is for corporate (ships with Virtual PC and floppy drive)
eMac - e is for education (sturdy construction, compact footprint)
gMac - g is for gaming (ships with top-of-the line graphics card and
sound system)

While models such as these have met with approval from industry experts,
many other models have prompted confusion and even derision.

The New York Times' David Pogue said "I think the eMac is going to do
very well in the education market, and the cMac has been a long time
coming."

"But the qMac? I just don't think there are enough quilters out there to
warrant their own Mac with special quilting software."

Similar questions have been raised about several other models. Apple
indicates the l in lMac is for lunch, which analysts are at a loss to
explain. Equally confusing is the tMac, in which the t stands for Timmy.

"Is Apple only selling these to people named Timmy?" Pogue asked. "Was
it designed by someone named Timmy? What's going on with that one?"

Flipping over the Apple press release to see if anything was on the
back, Pogue said "It doesn't seem to say here. Timmy. That's just weird."

At least one model has prompted an outcry from conservative Mac users:
the pMac.

According to Apple, the p is for porn.

Consisting of an unremarkable G3 processor running at 700 MHz, where the
pMac shines is its 17" flat panel display that is easy on the eyes and a
gigantic 200 GB hard drive. Targeted toward the needs of collectors of
pornography, the pMac delivers a large viewing area and impressive
storage capacity.

Marge Henderson, spokesperson for the Family Resource Council, blasted
Apple for releasing a computer she called "mired in lust and sin."

"How can I take my children to the Apple Store now?" Henderson asked.
"Even the name of that computer sounds filthy."

Apple spokesperson Cynthia McLaren said it would take several days to
complete changes to the Apple store to accommodate the company's new
product line. Apple will be issuing a 125-page brochure titled "Apple's
New Product Line Explained", available from the Apple Store for $19.95
shipping and handling.
posted by CARS Staff | 4/29/2002