Re: [NTLK] Replacing 2x00 supercap - Newton battery questions

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 02:26:24 EDT

> PCBMan and others: Can a capacitor become prone to rapid leakage with
> age and is the 2x00 supercap a standard cap in thems of mH and V rating
> (and physical size of course), and so could it be replaced? When I open
> my 2000, it doesn't seem to hold screen calibration for even a minute.
Any capacitor could become leaky. There could be a material failure or one
of the connections could be broken. The important rating values are the
capacity and the voltage, given in Volts and Farads, the latter mostly in
milli- or microfarad. However, the Newton supercap might have e.g. 0.1F and
I don't believe that it is leaky. If you measure a voltage of about 3.3V
across its terminals which decreases with about 0.01V per second (depending
on your voltmeter) its capacity can be considered to be okay and no leakage
took place.
Could the lost screen calibration have to do with jaggies and do you have
to set date and time too?

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG