[NTLK] OT - P*lm and Un*x

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 01:57:00 EDT

> some sort of 'I'm a cool
> hacker dude who spells it different because all of the old linux people
> used
> to spell Unix 'Un*x''?

   Well, Un*x does have some basis, as Linux, Unix, Minix, Multix and
perhaps a few other OSs all share the common n*x spelling, wehre * is a
wild-char. More precisely, it probably should something like
*{1,2}[t,n][u,i]x . This would all the above. However, P*lm just
doesn't make sense. [p,h]a[^z]* would however.. (Yes, finals are having
an effect on me too - I spent FAR too much time fiddling with grep in
BBEdit just now! Note I'm not an expert on RegExp by any means - I need
to read Mastering Regular Expressions and then sift through the code to
an algorithm - maybe try to write a parallel processing one and try to
get CS credit for it too..)

Jim