Re: [NTLK] NetTime

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 17:02:18 EDT

On 26/04/02 15:55, "Grant [Good Morning] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 00:35:25 Jesse Garnier <lists_at_stonehopper.com> wrote:
>
>> Through a bit of digging I found out that NIST servers still support the 868
>> protocol. I use time-a.nist.gov, but a whole list is available at:
>>
>> http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html
>>
>> Just thought I'd drop the note for anyone for whom NetTime isn't working.
>
> This is great information. I had always wondered why NetTime didn't
> really work. However, after changing the server to both the nist.gov one
> listed above and another, I keep getting the following error message when
> attempting to sync:
>
> "Clock not set. Remote time outside user-defined
> safety range of x minutes."
>
> Where "x" represents whatever number of "max acceptable minutes
> different" I specify in the interface. Has anyone run into this problem?

I think that the original author put some kind of prevention. If NetTime
finds that there is too much difference between the time it would set your
Newton to and the time your Newton has, it won't do it. Try to increase the
value for "Max acceptable minutes different". I have mine set at 60
(minutes) and don't have any problem. BTW, I'm using ntp2.usno.navy.mil.

-Laurent.

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.