Re: [NTLK] new 2100-how to transfer files

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 13:15:47 EDT

On 26/04/02 12:50, "Philip Halsey" <phalsey_at_provide.net> wrote:

> I have just purchased a 2100 for an additional machine/backup. How do I
> transfer applications that I have purchased for my first Newton? Can I
> transfer programs, or when I bought the program, did I buy it for just one
> machine and now I should re-purchase the programs for my new machine?

Usually, you're buying the right to use the software. So, you don't have to
buy them again. If you want to be able to quickly move from your regular
2100 to your backup one, put your applications on a PCMCIA flash RAM card.
Then, whenever you insert the card in one of your 2100, you have all your
applications at your fingertip. Make sure you check "Save new info and
packages on this card" so that all info will also reside on the card. Make
sure you're making a regular backup of the card on your desktop, because
you'd be dead if something was happening to your card... If you have the
luxury of having 2 cards, then you could use SBM Utilities to regularly make
a backup from your main card to your backup card, still you would like to
make sure you also have a backup on your desktop, just in case...

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.