Re: [NTLK] new to list

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 22:53:29 EDT

on 24/04/02 22:40, Chris Searles at csearles_at_netcologne.de wrote:

>> - get a Keyspan USB serial adapter, and use Newten
>> Pro: runs native on OS X
>> Con: requires you have a dongle and cable, and the Keyspan ain't
>> too cheap, either....
>> I have to mention that I had problems connecting this way, but
>> then, I didn't spend too much time analyzing why.
>
> Could you please explain how NCU runs native in OS X? I thought you had
> to use Classic for this because of the NCU extensions such as "Apple
> Modem Tool" and "XTND Power Enabler" which NCU requires in your System
> Folder in order for you to connect.

Read again ;-) The original poster is specifically mentioning "Newten",
which is a native tool on OS X that can works over a serial connection. The
gotcha is that you need to have a Keyspan serial adapter, or maybe other
similar serial to USB adapter, since OS X doesn't support serial. Newten is
actually a front end on UnixNPI, IIRC...

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).