Re: [NTLK] Fwd: [OT] Christian fanatic Attacking Apple

From: Chet Johns (cjohns_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 13:37:45 EDT

Anyone here old enough to remember what happened to Proctor and Gamble in
the 1970s and early 80s? It started a little like this. Rumors spread about
how their symbol represented witchcraft and astrology. It gradually grew,
each author adding a piece until it was rumored that all of their profits
went into this devil worship and human sacrifice thing. Their were even
stories about how the members of their board were witches or grand wizards.
It made the local and national news and made fodder for shows like Hard
Copy. Religious broadcasters on their Sunday morning infomercials used the
rumors to help raise money to "beat this corporate satan." Each step P&G
tried to debunk the rumors but their company suffered terribly when
religious groups demanded magazines and TV networks stop advertising their
products. Growing up in the "bible belt" I was amazed at how many of my
friend's parents bought into the garbage and stopped buying P&G products.
The public is pretty gullible with these types of things. My question is,
other than Microsoft, who else has an axe to grind with Apple? Sears? Intel?
Jerry Falwell? This little piece could possibly become a real problem for
Apple.
-Chet