Re: [NTLK] OT - Off topic - US drivers

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 10:10:07 EDT

on 4/23/02 9:55 AM, IMNewtMan_at_aol.com at IMNewtMan_at_aol.com wrote:

>> Stick shift is simply more fun :-)
>>

> Too true! I won't even consider a car now if I can't buy it with a stick
> shift. That is getting more difficult to do with a family sedan. US drivers
> as a whole must prefer an auto and it is really limiting my choices. I have
> only owned one automatic. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I also taught my
> wife to drive a stick. She decided that she didn't like it and wanted a auto
> when it was time to replace her car. After driving an automatic for about 6
> months, she then said it was boring and she would get a stick the next time!
> :-) Smart girl!

Agreed, but have you ever tried to negotiate daily, heavy, stop & go traffic
with a stick shift. Besides ending up with a left thigh that's
significantly larger than the right ;-) , some folks end up with
near-perpetual muscle spasms in the left side of their abdomen, which can
have unpleasant side-effects. If/when I retire out of an urbanized area,
I'll probably return to stick shift, but for now, it's just healthier to go
with automatic.

- Eric.