Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 23:41:19 EDT

Well, it's easy enough to prove. Just freeze alt.rec
(don't delete it, you don't want to start over again)
and try your Newt. My own non-scientific study found
that if I select certain "trouble" letters in the
"Letter Shapes" that are close to what I write
(wrongly of course) then go back to printed
characters, the Newton suffers needlessly. I can only
submit my Newt to this torture for short periods of
time before I have to set it back. I fully believe
that even though it is not a part of the printed
setup, it does have some bearing on how it works. Why?
Uh, not only am I NOT a programmer, I don't even play
on on TV.
I'm glad that my little tips have helped you and your
Newton recognize better!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> Holy crap, Ed! That has just helped my handwriting
> recognition a great deal!
> (And I really DO write like crap!) I never thought
> that the "Letter Shapes"
> data applied to the printing recognizer since it
> didn't show up when
> "Printing" was selected. I've actually left my Newt
> on cursive for years even
> though I always print because it seemed to do a
> better job and it was the only
> way that I could specify my letter shapes!
<snip>
> What you just said really should be in the FAQ...
> As a long-time Newton user
> (a daily Newton user, even), I really wish I had
> known this years ago... :(
>
> Thanks again, Ed!
>
> - John...
>
> P.S. Can anyone confirm for certain that the Letter
> Shapes really ARE being
> used in the Printing logic? I guess the improvement
> on me switching to
> Printing finally could be just alt.rec -- or just
> the fact that maybe I write
> differently than 2 years ago... I just want to be
> certain that the Printing
> engine really IS using the Letter Shapes settings
> that only seem available
> when the Cursive engine is selected.

<snip>

=====