Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail partial email list download

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 19:04:57 EDT

On Monday 22 April 2002 19:09, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:
> At 10:54 AM 4/22/2002 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
> >I've been having the same problem occasionally with SimpleMail. It
> > hangs as you describe (i.e. Storing) on a particular email message. If
> > I reset the Newton and retry, SimpleMail hangs on the same message. If
> > I delete the offending email from the server, reset and retry,
> > SimpleMail is able to complete downloading other messages.
> >
> >This looks like a SimpleMail bug. I'm waiting until it happens again so
> > that I can capture the offending email and report the problem to
> > SimpleMail's author.
>
> Is it possible that you're downloading a really long e-mail using a
> modem (rather than an Ethernet) connection?
>
> If so, this could be resulting from the bug apparently in NIE's PPP
> stack that truncates too-long frames. I get this when downloading from a
> POP3 server with a lot of messages on it, say >60. SimpleMail issues the
> UIDL command to the POP3 server, which responds, but the frame is too
> long so NIE truncates it and the Newt never sees the complete frame, so
> it hangs.
>
> If you are using a modem, can you try downloading the same e-mail over
> Ethernet and see if that doesn't solve the problem?

I get it occasionally with Eudora Pro. Usually the last message downloaded
is some HTML-shite that I would have deleted on sight anyway. And even if
these pieces of crap download successfully, they somehow manage to ignore
the delete flag and stay on the server forever.

The remedy for me (if you can call it that), is to switch to my desktop
and download my mail on it. KMail never hangs ;^). No more problems for
Newtie the next time...

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

<This sigline under construction. Come back soon.>