Re: [NTLK] ABS and stopping OT,

From: scOtty teCHnoir (ticknor_at_punkass.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:15:16 EDT

> The reason F1 cars don't have it is because it is against the
> regulations. They had it for a while before it was outlawed. I
> think that it was because it was considered an unfair advantage and
> made it more a matter of car technology than of driver skill.
>
> -James

agreed James. Perhaps the problem here is that the technology found on
road cars today may have actually caught up with 10 year old racing
technology.
When I related the anecdote regarding my speedy friend, I should have
pointed out that he drove a 95 Toyota Corolla, and to my knowledge this
car used the typical 'pumping' ABS system where the brakes are engaged
and disengaged frequently to provide stable braking. But I wonder if the
F1 cars were using a more refined approach to ABS, where the brake
pressure was computer modulated, allowing for all computable conditions,
to make 'intelligent' and superfast braking adjustments. And this is
what we now see on even mid-level cars and trucks. The computer is now
making decisions, rather than just dumbly turning the brakes
'on-and-off' a few times per second.
So my assertion was perhaps unfounded, likely due to the generic
terminology I used-- 'ABS". the technology has undoubtedly come far
since 1995, and I concede that the more modern systems found in BMW,
Mercedes, and even Chevy, are likely able to brake more efficiently
than the mortal human