Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Safety

From: Lallang_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 02:18:04 EDT

In a message dated 04/20/2002 02:00:43, Newton2k1_at_mac.com writes:
>> Reminds me of a film I once saw. People were encouraged to carry
>> weapons because it was assumed they would be more polite to each other
>> if they knew the other carries a weapon and knows how to use it.
>> It was perfectly legal to kill someone who insulted you. The insulted party
>> always had the first shot.
>
>Wow, what a cool idea to reduce the overpopulation of the earth! All wars
>would probably stop suddenly but the number of undertakers would have to
>be much higher ;-) until the first few years upon introduction of the new
>law.

Uh...I seem to recall some communities in Florida allowing weapons to be
carried by citizens provided they were not concealed. This included
handguns. The crime rate supposedly dropped by 70% immediately after. How
true this is I don't know. I do know that an ex-girlfriend's mother used to
mow her multi-acre fields in Florida with her firearms in the tractor with
her. She was one grass-eliminating mobile arsenal. I'm sure nobody messed
with her while she was mowing...