Re: [NTLK] Pocket Quicken/Pocket Money question + PC

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 01:52:14 EDT

on 4/18/02 5:32 PM, Murray, Tom at TMurray_at_usequities.com wrote:

> On a different note...realizing that the above might have reached it's final
> functionality, I understand that Pocket Money still allows you to export QIF
> files so you can import into Quicken. Will this work with the newer
> versions of Quicken? Also, I was under the understanding that if you have
> multiple accounts (checking, savings, credit) you need to do separate
> exports for each account...is this true?

I have always done an account at a time, but supposedly, the last version of
Exchange and Wildcat (on the Mac, at least) allow for multiple accounts in a
QIF file. I never tested it, because I was too afraid to mess up my data. If
you are starting fresh, however, you may want to experiment on fresh, test
files, and see what happens. I never had the time do do this, and my Newton
was full of information that I didn't want to risk. :-) I will grant that
the PM way of transferring data isn't nearly as seamless as with Pocket
Quicken. It's a shame, really, that PM couldn't use the PQC software as
well. A QIF file is a QIF file, and all versions read older QIF files fine.
Newer ones supposedly have the capacity to contain multiple accounts, but
like I said, I've never tested that feature.

>Lastly, is it possible to import
> from Quicken into Pocket Money (all my data is in my Pocket Quicken and I
> don't want to lose it on my Newt if I have to remove PQ and go with PM)?

I commented on this in another email, but theoretically it's possible. I
believe that the latest version of Exchange (2.03) can do both uploads and
downloads. I have used this to import categories. It requires the latest
version of Wildcat to accomplish this. According to:
<http://www.catamount.com/PocketMoney3.html#WildCat> WildCat for Windows
does download transactions to the Newton. :-) Good news.

Oh, and you don't have to remove PQ to use PM. They live fine together. :-)

Now for the really good news. If you have a lot of transactions in Pocket
Quicken, you can use the "Pocket Quicken to Pocket Money" utility package to
convert your PQ files to Pocket Money. I don't know but this might be very
useful for you. :-)

I hope this information helps. BTW, the web site is still active, so have a
look around the above url.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland