Re: [NTLK] Testing ethernet throughput/speed?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 13:15:39 EDT

I don't know about any kind of network speed testing
on the Newt, but you can put something on the server
side to test...
On my Windows machines I use a program from Analogx
called NetStat. It's an awsome throughput checker that
gives you a real-time graph of in/out network
connections as well as CPU usage! Check it out at the
Analogx webpage (www.analogx.com) and go to the
downloads section to get it. as a side note, I would
recommend any of the Analogx applications...they are
tight small and well written...
As to your other question, yes, the 802.11b has
auto-fallback to slower speeds depending on signal
degradation. It isn't a smooth drop. It drops to
specified speeds until it cannot maintain a clean
carrier.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> Is there anything out there that I could use to test
> ethernet throughput/speed
> on my Newton? I just got my WaveLAN card yesterday
> and have everything up and
> running now (with that $99 3Com WAP that I mentioned
> a couple weeks ago!) --
> and I'm just curious what kind of speed I am
> getting. I'm getting some crazy
> distances (went out into the parking lot and walked
> to the outer fence and it
> was still working -- looks like I'll have to
> actually get in my Durango and
> DRIVE someplace to test the distance!). In any
> case, it did seem to slow down
> way out there. Does 802.11b automatically drop from
> 11Mbps down to the slower
> speeds depending on the connection quality?
>
> I'm just curious what kind of throughput I'm
> getting, so I was curious if
> there was anything that showed some kind of
> throughput when transferring
> something via ethernet -- so that I could do some
> more thorough
> testing/statistics.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> - John...