Re: [NTLK] Newton Cadillac

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 10:18:35 EDT

> AFAIK it was a poke at Microsoft after a legal battle over system
> sounds (hence the name 'so sue me')
> hopefully someone on the list has the full story.

Not Microsoft. Apple Inc. was sued by Apple Corp. (the Beatles'
Recording Company) when it was first successful (around the late 70s, I
think). Trademark issues. The lawsuit was eventually settled, but Apple
Computers was obliged to keep out of the music business.

When Apple brought sound capabilities to the Macintosh, the engineers
were obviously aware that they were heading into a minefield. So one
System sound was named -- tongue in cheek -- "So, sue me!".

Alexander