Re: [NTLK] Newton: Expensive waste of time

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 19:37:08 EDT

> I bought my MP2.1k roughly a month ago. Since that time I've more than
> doubled the purchase price in shareware and options, and spent a hundred
> hours poring over archive sites, software sites, personal pages and
> five-year-old reviews in Pen Computing. Meanwhile even though I told it
> clean my desk over TWO WEEKS AGO it's *still* a mess! Could it be my IR
> port malfunctioning? Is there an extension I'm missing? I'd really like
> be able to use voice commands - is there shareware to do this? "Newton! Do
> the dishes!"

Ah, now that I've been with the Newton a little longer I realize the error
I made. I thought I'd purchased a reliable slave that would do my bidding.
  I was wrong, apparently.

In fact it seems Newton is the Master, and I do as it says, when it says.
It's now waiting for the Text To Speech package and an alarm system so that
_I_ may respond to _its_ spoken commands. I'm just glad there isn't an
electric shock module (tell me there isn't an electric shock module),
though it would be motivating!

Excuse me, but I have dishes to do.

jc