Re: [NTLK] Currency, Euros and new countries

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:55:34 EDT

On 11/04/02 16:55, "Ed Kummel" <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to update the Newt? Or do we have
> to create a completely new currency exchange
> application?

Well, you can already modify the exchange rate, so the application is kind
of relying on external data to do its job. I'm guessing however that it must
pick up its countries from the internal list. This would have to be some how
patched so that we remove obsolete ones and add new ones. I'm not sure how
to do that, though.

On the NewtonFR list (the french version of NewtonTalk), there were talks
between Paul Guyot and others to come out with some kind of a patch (not
sure if they were talking about an "official" system patch) to add the euro.
Other than that, I don't know...

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.