Re: [NTLK] Newton demos

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:04:07 EDT

My standard demo consists of:
showing the handwriting and how accurate it is.
showing the expansion capability.
placing a call using the assist, then letting them
hear the touch-tones. (this one really gets them!)
I ask them what country they are from/want to go to
and pull up the pertinent information in the TimeZones
app.
I rotate the screen and show them how several books
look in landscape and portrait (works really well if
the books have pictures.
I ask them their name and write out a short note with
it and tell the Newt to speak it to them. (this one
always makes them surprised)
I then tell them that I have a second newt sitting at
home serving web pages and give them the URL for
future observation.

Any single one of these things will usually get an
"ahhh!" or an "ooooo"...but all together, they end up
being speachless...until they ask the ultimate
question..."how can i get one..." and I have to tell
them...ebay. I no longer tell people that my Newton is
a PDA...when they ask what it is, I tell them it is a
handheld computer... One informed individual then
returned "is that 'pre-pda' or 'post-pda'" I
responded, "this device coined the term 'PDA' and
started the craze!"
.Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- "eric a . Farris" <eafarris_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 02:06:50PM -0700, Ed Kummel
> wrote:
<snip>
> this is cool. i love stories like this. i have a
> related question for
> you folks: what is your "standard demo?" in addition
> to showing them the
> awesome HWR, i have a small NewtWorks spreadsheet
> that i open up and
> show them a quick graph, i show them my formatted
> resume in newtworks
> use Assist to create an appointment... what all do
> you do to show off
> your newt? some of the stuff i did when i got this
> thing is less
> impressive now that Palm/PocketPC can do most of
> this stuff, and in many
> cases faster and prettier than my Newt.
>
> BTW: i'm in a party mood today, for this morning
> MoreInfo reminded me:
> 4/11/1997: MP2K Arrived
> Happy anniversary to me!

=====