Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 16:44:51 EDT

on 4/11/02 4:04 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I guess I really just don't understand what sort of problem you could
> possibly have that's that bad.
    At risk of boring everyone to death, here's the story:
    A "clerical error" in crediting my card for a returned item spiraled
into my credit rating being trashed before I was even told there was a
problem. This was followed by other card balances, loans and my mortgage
being called in. It took close to six months to sort out and only ended (for
the most part) then because I ate the cost of the returned item plus
interest.
    I paid off all the plastic as soon as possible after that (none of the
companies would guarantee that this sort of hell wouldn't happen again) and
cancelled the lot.
    All I carry is the bank card (now debit card) that I've used for 25
years without problems.

> What are the laws where you are that limit
> your responsibility for charges?
    Same as the US, but in my case it was the credit card company that did
the hijacking. They refused to back down ... even when presented with
evidence of the return. As a consequence, I trust all of them about as far
as I could heave the northern hemisphere.

    I'll admit there are times when not having a CC is inconvenient, there
are times when I can't make a purchase, but I'll live with that knowing I
won't have to relive the joys of being a CC holder.

Peter