Re: [NTLK] has anyone gone solar?

From: David Firth (djfirth_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 00:09:51 EDT

on 4/9/02 9:18 AM, Marco Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:

> At the strongest possible sun radiation the panel has to deliver not more
> than 7.5V with a tolerance of about 5%.

The best thing to do is for the panel to charge a battery and the battery to
run the Newton, even if you need to use a regulator to reduce the DC voltage
safely and reliably (i.e. 12V panel and 12V battery being charged through a
suitable pulse charger/controller with a regulator set to deliver 7.5 VDC to
the Newton). A small amorphous panel would charge a small gel cell battery
reasonably. The batteries that used to be packaged in cellular bag phones
would work great. Would run the Newt for quite a while. Running directly
from a panel is ill advised. I've used solar power systems for data
acquisition applications for 11 years now and would never personally set up
a solar panel for direct application.

Glad to see some folks considering solar, though. I have some panels in
storage for when I have more time for some projects. Too big for Newt,
though -- sized 10W to 30W at 12VDC.