Re: [NTLK] Error Code -28016%26In-Reply-To=%26lt;B8D9CBAA.5419%La urent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com>

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 17:54:06 EDT

on 4/10/02 8:20 PM, Bryan Cantley at bcantley_at_fullerton.edu wrote:

> I am using NCU, and have never had this problem before. I am not sure
> what you mean by "incremental...", I am trying to back up as I do every
> week, with all items checked [if that makes sense].

The kind of back up you are doing is called an "incremental" backup, because
you are merely modifying an older backup file, adding and deleting
information as needed. In truth, this is a dangerous practice, as people
have discovered to their dismay when trying to restore from one of these.
Sometimes, they discover that they cannot restore a backup that was done
incrementally.

On this list, we, or most of use at least, recommend taking your last backup
files, moving them out of the backup folder or directory in which they
reside, and doing a fresh backup every time you back up. When you do a fresh
backup, you will not see the options for what to backup. It will just start
backing up. It has to create a new file, which will almost assuredly work.
If you are about to do a brain wipe, or something drastic, then it is
suggested that you create at least two fresh backup files (moving the old
fresh one out of the backup folder or directory). I hope this clarifies. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland